Solidarity, education, participation – join the VDLC
About the VDLC: The labour council links labour and community activists together to exchange, learn, and mobilize around labour rights, political engagement, and social justice. We invite your union to join us.
We are an umbrella organization for unions in our region, with a membership of over 100 affiliated unions representing 60,000 workers. Our region encompasses Vancouver, City of North Vancouver, District of North Vancouver, West Vancouver, and Electoral District A.
Like other labour councils across the country, the VDLC is charted by the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC). The CLC represents 3.5 million unionized Canadians. Our activities include local participation in national campaigns for improved retirement security, EI, and the Together Fairness Works initiative.
Monthly Meetings: Every month we come together to hear speakers, learn what is important to affiliated unions, and debate motions on important issues. While only affiliated delegates may vote, our meetings are open and guest observers are welcome.
Participate: Delegates are also involved in many other VDLC activities and committees. These include:
- strike, picket line, and rally support
- political action and lobbying
- evaluating and endorsing progressive municipal candidates
- International Women’s Day, May Day, and Labour Day events
- education on labour law, economics, public speaking, and other training
- sponsoring music, film, and theatrical performances
- engaging in international solidarity and much more
Young Leaders: Through our Young Workers’ Committee and meetings, young activists build leadership skills, develop a deeper understanding of the labour movement, and benefit from the support of peers.
- Meeting Dates – 7:30 pm on the third Tuesday of each month, except August (no meeting) and December (second Tuesday and 7:00 pm start)
- Location – Maritime Labour Centre, 1880 Triumph Street (corner of Victoria Drive, 3 blocks north of East Hastings Street)
- Per capita fees – $0.47 per affiliated members per month
- Delegate entitlement – no less than 2 voting delegates for each affiliate. Unions with over 100 members are entitled to additional delegates as per Article 4 of our constitution .
We would be pleased to answer questions or make a presentation to your executive or membership. Download Affiliation Form here.