Bold Action for Unsheltered Vancouver Residents
At the October 8 special meeting of Vancouver City Council, an important motion proposing bold action for unsheltered Vancouver residents will be voted on.
The motion, brought forward by Mayor Kennedy Stewart, proposes the following:
That to provide emergency COVID-19 relief for unsheltered Vancouver residents, Council will:
- Subject to all relevant Council policies, Vancouver Charter and by-law requirements, direct staff to lease or purchase housing units including those found in:
- Vacant apartment buildings;
- Vacant commercial hotels or other buildings; and/or,
- Vacant single-room occupancy buildings.
- Allocate up to $30 million to execute these actions and provide wraparound services.
- Direct the Mayor to pursue senior government funding to support the work of City Council outlined above and to provide additional housing and wraparound services.
- Direct staff to provide regular progress reports.
To read the full motion, and pledge your support, click HERE.
You can view the agenda for the October 8 meeting, sign up to speak, and send written comments HERE.